Middle School FAQs
1) What classes do I take in Middle School?
Students have the following classes as part of their schedule:
- Language Arts
- Math (they will either be in General Math or Pre-Algebra in 6th grade)
- History (6th grade–Ancient History)
- Science (6th grade –Earth Science)
- Computer Science
- Study Period
2) How many times per week do students have these classes?
The Middle School week is Monday to Friday from 8:10 am to 3:10 pm.
Students have a 50 minute period of Language Arts and Mathematics every day of the week.
History/Social Studies and Science classes are three days a week although some classes are 90 minutes in length in order to acheive the benefits of more comprehensive and in-depth class discussions, projects and experiments.
Computer Technology classes take place once a week although computer technology is integrated into every subject in the Middle School.
Spanish classes take place three times a week as do P.E. classes as well.
Enrichment classes takes place every day at the end of the day. Finally,
Study Periods occur each day and allow students to complete assignments and some of their homework and allow teachers and students to connect and work on improving understanding and supporting superior work.
3) How big are Middle School classes?
Middle School class sizes vary but our maximum class size is 24 students. In Language Arts and Math, we split the classes roughly in half providing greater opportunity for teachers and students to work closely together.
4) How much homework do Middle School students typically have?GHS believes that homework is a necessary part of a student’s educational process. Students are expected to develop good work and study habits. Homework will be assigned to practice skills already learned in class and other assignments will give the student an opportunity to enrich his/her classroom experience. Homework assignments are given only after students have been given adequate instruction in class.
Grades 6-8 have about 90 to 120 minutes per day. This does not include long-term projects or studying for tests. If students are spending significantly less or more time than this, a conference with the teacher may be warranted.
5) What is Enrichment?
Enrichment is an opportunity for students to pick from a variety of classes that are offered each trimester. Each trimester selections can change depending on the time of year, and students change their choices as they design their own Enrichment class schedule. Classes are offered that allow students to explore new interests and skills, and where they have a chance to go deeper into an interest they already have. Your Enrichment class schedule can have up to 5 different Enrichment classes a trimester.
Recent Enrichment choices offered have been:
(Some classes are only available during select trimesters and are not available all the time)
- Nutritional Health
- Drama (Middle School Play)
- Student Press
- Dramatic Speech
- Dance (usually a mamandatory Enrichment class in 7th grade)
- T.A.(Teacher’s Assistant)
6) Do 6th grades have any interaction with 7th and 8th graders?
Yes. Building a strong Middle School community is an important part of our success in Middle School so we find opportunities to bring our students in 6th, 7th and 8th grade together. Enrichment classes are a time when, depending on the classes chosen, students will be with 7th and 8th graders. Golden Groups is also another time where 6th, 7th and 8th grade students will be together. Depending on the schedule, students may also have P.E. with either 7th or 8th grade.
7) Do students go on any field trips?
Of course. At the startof the year, each grade level goes on an overnight field trip (between 2 and 3 nights) and, depending on the location, is provided with team bonding activities and experiences. These field trips are what middle school students look forward to every year. Most recently, 6th graders went to Point Bonita, 7th graders went to Coloma and 8th graders went to Asilomar Learning Center in Monterey. Although these locations may change as we find new and better opportunities, these locations give you an idea of the types of locations the middle school students visit.
There are also various day field trips throughout the year, which may include the B Street Theater, Sierra College National History Museum, and Sacramento Science Discovery Center.
8) What is Renweb and how is it used in Middle School?
Renweb is our school’s online information system (portal) that stores all student, staff and family information, as well as data.
In Elementary school, Renweb is only used for parents to access the Family Directory’ .In Middle School, Renweb is used a lot. All home work and grades are continuously and consistently posted and updated by the teachers on Renweb and you, as well as your parents, can access the information at any time by logging into your Renweb account.
9) What athletics programs are offered in Middle School?
Middle School offers the most choices and opportunities for you to be involved in an extra-curricular sport. Some of the sports we currently offer in Middle School are:
- Flag Football
- Cross Country
- Track and Field
You can join any or all of the sports listed.